City of Ottawa press release, issued at 4:37 pm on Tuesday, February 12, 2019:
City road crews have begun plowing, sanding and gritting roads and sidewalks in response to the snowfall that began this afternoon and is expected to continue until Wednesday afternoon.
Residents are asked to exercise caution if driving, cycling or walking and to allow extra time for their commutes today and tomorrow.
Drivers are also reminded of the following:
- The winter overnight parking ban is in effect. During winter overnight parking bans, residents will have free access to covered City-owned parking garages.
- Please avoid parking on the street for the duration of the storm, if possible, so that plows can remove snow from streets more efficiently.
- Please be patient and keep a safe distance behind working snow plows.
If you are using OC Transpo during the storm, please leave extra time for your trip and anticipate there may be weather or traffic related delays.
The number one priority for City road crews during the storm is to keep the Highway 174, the Transitway, major and arterial roads clear. Residential roads will be cleared as soon as possible; however, due to the volume of snow falling road crews will not be able to clear residential roads as quickly. Residents are asked to please avoid contacting the City about their neighbourhood roads unless it is an emergency.
Residents are asked to clear snow away from fire hydrants connected to their own properties, if it is safe to do so. Please check on your neighbours who are elderly or may have difficulties with mobility.
Cancellations and closures:
The following City programs have been affected for Wednesday, February 13, due to the storm.
- Regular meeting of City Council has been cancelled.
- Budget consultation at City Hall has been cancelled.
- All City libraries, recreation and culture facilities will be closed tomorrow morning and all programming and rentals are cancelled. Facilities and libraries will reopen and resume regular programming at noon.
- The Central Archives Reference Room at the City Archives will be closed.
- Parenting in Ottawa Drop-ins in Kinburn, Stittsville and Metcalfe are cancelled.
- West Carleton Client Service Centre at 5670 Carp Road.
For weather updates, please visit Environment Canada.