I have heard from many in our community regarding masks and their use. Here’s a brief update:
- Dr. Etches, the Medical Officer of Health for our city has issued a directive to mandate masks in Ottawa. This directive will come into affect tonight at midnight.
- Ottawa Public Health continues to track the latest scientific evidence regarding COVID-19 and alters their guidance to maximize our safety and well being. Wearing masks save lives.
- At our next Council meeting, a motion will be moved to enact a temporary by-law that will complement the existing directive and give more flexibility in the implementation of mandatory masks. This would include things like fines.
- Wearing a mask does not eliminate the need to physical distance. You can learn more about how to wear, use a mask, and other important information here.
- I know many of our businesses want the best for their customers and their employees and are eager to take further steps to increase their protection. Businesses can find more information here.
- There are some specific exemptions to the wearing of masks due to health and other limited reasons, like children under 2.
I know that wearing a mask can lead to some temporary discomfort but if we all do our part we can continue to build on the progress we have made.
Don’t forget, if you have not been able to find a mask, we have dedicated neighbours in our community who are making them, and I would be happy to deliver them. You can request one here.
Thank you Kanata North for continuing to be COVIDWise.