Over the last few weeks, I have received many messages from our community regarding skating and crowds at the Beaver Pond. We are fortunate to have this treasure in Kanata North and it’s amazing to see so many people out enjoying it.
However, in discussing the pond’s usage with city staff responsible for Storm Water Management facilities, and with By-Law who is responsible for enforcing COVID-19 regulations, I am asking you for your cooperation in adhering to basic safety and COVID-19 regulations:
- Stay off the ice at the far end of the pond by the parking lot. This ice is not safe. Please follow the pathway around the south side of the pond and enter the ice on that side where it is currently cleared. This area is monitored by volunteers for ice depth.
- Always ensure physical distancing of 2 metres from others not in your household while on the ice, or anywhere in the park.
- Masks must be worn along the edges of the pond, or any crowded areas including parking lots. It is recommended that masks be worn at all times due to crowds and physical exertion which heighten the risk of COVID-19 spreading.
- Hockey or other team sports are not allowed under Provincial Regulations during the current lockdown. Please do not allow your children to play hockey and do not bring teams to the pond to practice. No sticks or pucks are currently allowed.
- Many people enjoy walking the pathways around the pond. Please keep these pathways clear for walkers.
- Take your garbage home. Clean up after yourself so this beautiful spot stays beautiful.
- Respect maximum capacity of 25 people on each cleared ice surface and in any other gathering spot. Please limit your time on the ice to 45 minutes if others are waiting.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.