I’ve received several questions about Cleaning the Capital this year, many of these questions have to do with COVID-19 restrictions and safety. This year marks the 28th year of Cleaning the Capital, a City of Ottawa program that leverages corporate sponsorship and resident engagement to help keep our city clean and green.
City staff have liaised with Ottawa Public Health to ensure cleanup projects follow the recommended public health measures and safety guidance. If you participate in Cleaning the Capital 2021, please practice the following:
- Keep a physical distance of at least two metres (six feet) from anyone who is not from your household
- Wear a mask whenever physical distancing is not possible
- Wash and/or sanitize your hands as often as possible
- If you are feeling unwell in any way, please stay home
- Limit groups to the applicable gathering limits outlined in the provincial response framework
The City will not be holding a dedicated Capital Cleanup Weekend, or loaning tools such as pickers and safety vests. Further, due to reduced budget, leaf and yard waste bags will only be provided upon request, while supplies last.
Should the COVID-19 situation change, I will keep residents up to date on the protocol for Cleaning the Capital.
Key Spring Campaign Information:
- March 15: Early-bird registration begins
- April 15 to May 15: Cleaning the Capital Spring Campaign
- April 22 Earth Day
- May 15: Last day to register
- May 31: Deadline to complete projects and submit cleanup project
Participants can register their cleanup projects by using the online registration form available at ottawa.ca/clean or by calling 613-580-2424, extension 13458.
An interactive map shows the locations chosen for cleanups. Cleanup kits, which include garbage bags and gloves, will be made available for pick-up at one of seven City of Ottawa facilities across the city. Upon request, graffiti removal kits can also be provided. The Kanata North location is Richcraft Recreation Complex-Kanata, Monday to Sunday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Thank you for your interest in keeping our community clean, healthy, and beautiful. Should you participate in Cleaning the Capital this year, please exercise your judgement and caution, so we can reduce the spread of COVID-19.