Construction continues on the Campeau Drive extension project. Upon completion, this project will create an important connection to Arcadia, Tanger Outlets and the Kanata West Business Park. The project, which extends Campeau Drive from Country Glen Way to Didsbury Road, includes a four-lane road, segregated cycling lanes, sidewalks, the roundabout at Winterset Road, two signalized intersections at Kanata Commons and Didsbury Road, and a new bridge over the Carp River.
This project was identified in the City’s Transportation Master Plan dating back to 2013 and is part of the affordable road network. The approved budget for this project is $32 million. Construction is anticipated to be completed this fall.
Progress to date
Since construction began in 2020, work continues to progress well. The following work has been completed to date:
- Earth excavation, site grading, and granular work for the new roadways
- Curb and sidewalk placement
- Asphalt placement for roadways and cycle tracks from Country Glen Way to Winterset Road
- Placement of lightweight fill material and distribution slabs for the new Carp River Bridge approaches
- Pouring of concrete for the Carp River bridge including abutments, deck, and barrier walls
- Utility, watermain, and storm sewer installations
- Line painting and sig installation from Country Glen Way to Winterset Road
- Installation of guide rails on approaches to the new bridge
The view of work on Campeau Drive at the Carp River Bridge looking East.
The view of work on Campeau Drive at the Carp River bridge looking West.
Great progress at the Campeau Drive and Didsbury Road intersection looking West.
The following work can be expected over the next couple of months:
- Granular placement and the installation of curbs/sidewalk and asphalt pavement placement on Campeau Drive from Winterset Road to Didsbury Road and on adjacent pathways/cycle facilities
- Minor work on Campeau Drive between Country Glen Way and Winterset Road including sewer inspections, adjustments to sewer maintenance covers as well as surface asphalt placement, and line painting
- Utility installations
- Work on the Carp River bridge including the installation of railings
- Placement of topsoil in boulevard areas
Upcoming traffic impacts
While Campeau Drive between Country Glen Way and Winterset Road opened at the end of 2020, some work remains to be completed in this area.
Traffic interruptions can be expected for the completion of minor work including sewer inspections and line painting. Traffic interruptions can also be expected near the intersections of Didsbury Road/Campeau Drive and Kanata Commons Road/Campeau Drive to allow for roadwork and the delivery of material to the site. Material delivery and construction access to the site will continue along Campeau Drive from Terry Fox Drive/Highway 417 and/or Palladium Drive/Highway 417.
Traffic will be directed by on-site flag persons and will be controlled with construction signage. Please be sure to pay attention to on-site signage as periodic lane closures or roadway narrowing may be necessary.
Access to Kanata Commons community and to businesses will continue to be maintained at all times.
Project details can be found on the city website. Please do not hesitate to reach out to myself or the Project Manager, Bin Wang, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions or concerns. I will continue to share further updates as they become available.