I have received many emails over the past few weeks as the weather has improved inquiring about the status of this project. This complex project has been a work in progress for some time now, and I am happy to share that construction will resume on the Herzberg Sewer Trunk Project in May 2021. The work is planned to be completed in July of 2021, weather dependent.
The purpose of this project is to provide additional capacity to meet the future flows generated from Kanata North and to replace existing infrastructure that has reached the end of its lifecycle.
The contractor will complete the remaining work along Herzberg Road (from Legget Drive to March Road) and Legget Drive (from 305 Legget Drive to Herzberg Road). This work includes:
- The construction of a sanitary sewer flow measurement chamber in front of 305 Legget Drive.
- The reinstatement of disturbed areas along Legget Drive between 305 Legget Drive and Herzberg Road, including concrete curbs, asphalt sidewalks and roads, and landscaping.
- The reconstruction of the Herzberg Road and Legget Drive intersection, which includes the excavation of existing material and placement of road base granular.
- The reinstatement of Herzberg Road between Legget Drive and Carling Avenue including street lighting, concrete curbs and sidewalk, an asphalt cycle track and landscaping.
- The abandonment of the sanitary forcemain along Herzberg Road from Carling Avenue to March Road.
On both Herzberg Road and Legget Drive, the contractor will aim to maintain one lane of traffic in each direction; however, it will be necessary to temporarily reduce the road to a single lane to complete portions of the work. Traffic will be directed by flag persons when this occurs.
There will be a period of approximately two weeks when Legget Drive will be reduced to a single lane for the installation of the sanitary flow measurement chamber in front of 305 Legget Drive. Traffic will be maintained by flag persons during the day and with signage overnight.
To complete the reconstruction and reinstatement work at the intersections of Herzberg Road/Legget Drive and Herzberg Road/Carling Avenue, localized lane reductions will be necessary. This work is scheduled outside morning and afternoon peak traffic periods in order to reduce traffic impacts.
Pedestrian and cycling access will be maintained throughout the construction period.
On-street parking and local access
On-street parking will be restricted as the various road reconstruction activities are completed. Local access will be maintained for residents, schools, and emergency vehicles. In the event that access to driveways is restricted for a short period for construction activities, you will be contacted in advance by the project team and provided with a temporary On-Street Parking Permit that will allow on-street parking.
For further information or any questions, please reach out to myself or Franco Bonanno, the Project Manager, at Franco.Bonanno@ottawa.ca. I will continue to share updates as I receive them.