There will be Bell Fibe installations happening throughout Kanata North this summer. This project involves upgrading existing copper infrastructure with high-speed fibre optics. Below is a copy of the timeline from Bell of the project and what to expect. This timeline is part of the notice letters that are being sent out to residents impacted.
For those residents who have been contacting us about Bell Fibe work that was done last fall and not completed, Bell ran into significant rock all throughout Kanata and has had to regroup and change the technique they were using. If you are experiencing a situation regarding work that has not been completed, we can direct you to the Bell Fibe staff who can let you know exactly when they will be back to complete the work and repair the area in the Right of Way.
Timeline of project
• Construction typically takes approximately 8 weeks, all within the City of Ottawa’s right of way.
1. Prior to construction
• Residents are receiving this notice letter via Canada Post or as a doorknocker form left with all pertinent information related to the Bell Canada Fibre to the Home project.
• A subsequent notice will be delivered 10 days prior to the start of the project.
• Signage will be posted within your subdivision, with an information telephone number.
• The locate company will be out prior to the start of the project to mark the location of the existing utilities including: gas, Rogers, Bell, hydro. Please do not remove the flags. Provincial Law mandates the locate flags to remain in the ground until construction has completed.
•If you have a sprinkler system or other features, or are planning landscaping or driveway work, please contact the contractor’s information that you will receive along with this notice.
Phase 2. Construction
There are 3 specific methods of construction used for the Fibre to the Home project.
1. Directional drilling
• Conduit is placed underground using drilling machinery.
2. Micro trenching
• Used to install buried fibre wire.
• A small part of the driveway on city ROW, typically near the curb will be removed to place the new fibre.
• The section of the driveway that is removed, will be replaced with hot asphalt as per city of Ottawa specifications.
• Interlock will be removed and replaced with all proper material.
• A ground level box which measures 11”X11” will be placed on city property to house the wires for future use when applicable.
3. Hydro excavation
• Hydro vacuuming is used to create test holes.
• Test holes are used to validate both the location and the depth of all utilities within the City’s right of way.
Phase 3. Restoration
• Hard surface and soft surface restoration is done in phases during project.
• Final restoration takes place once all construction has been completed.
• The City will conduct an inspection of all restoration within the subdivision on the ROW (right of way) where the work has taken place.
Please contact the Kanata North Office with any questions or concerns.