The following operations are anticipated to be ongoing over the coming month on the March Road Sanitary Upgrades project:
- Continuation of open cut sanitary sewer installation at the north project limits on March Road (just south of St. Isidore School).
- Continuation of the trenchless installation work on Shirley’s Brook Drive from Inverary Drive to March Road. This portion of the work has experienced multiple schedule setbacks and the sub-contractor is estimating this will be completed in the next month or two.
- Continuation of the open cut sanitary sewer installation on Shirley’s Brook Drive. Blasting will start next Tuesday, May 31st.
- Hydro Ottawa is completing a pole installation project within the project limits (on east side of March Road). Although this work is being completed as a separate project, the work is being coordinated to mitigate traffic impacts.
- There will be final reinstatement works ongoing for the majority of March Road throughout the month of June. Work will primarily be on the west side of March Road (southbound lanes)
The following general impacts are anticipated due to this work:
Noise, Vibrations and Blasting
- Significant groundwater is continuing to be encountered at the southern end of the project which has necessitated operating pumps 24hrs a day. Pumping is required on Shirley’s Brook Drive until the completion of the trenchless works. The requirement for continued pumping will be reviewed based on conditions encountered by the open cut works.
- There will be blasting operations in the rural section of March for the remainder of the project. Required notifications will continue to be provided as to the few homes and businesses in this area of the project.
- The majority of the trenchless work on Shirley’s Brook Drive between March Road and Inverary is has been completed. However there is remedial work to be completed over the next several months. This work is not anticipated to generate large vibrations. All operations continued to be monitored and are all well within allowable limits.
- Blasting operations on Shirley’s Brook Drive are anticipated to start the week of May 31st. Anticipate daily blasting for approximately 2 months. Resident Notice is attached for reference.
- Pre-blast survey has been completed for the required area in the vicinity of the blasting (150m).
- The Sandhill Road sidewalk and pathways through and around Shirley’s Brook park will be impacted in the coming month. Temporary access will continue to be provided as required.
- The sidewalk on the west side of March Road will be temporarily closed in sections as the remaining reinstatement work is completed (landscape, concrete and asphalt works).
- Traffic is being shifted as required on March Road north of Maxwell Bridge Road/Halton Terrace. One lane each direction is being maintained at all times.
- Lane shifts during working hours will be required in the rural section of March Road (north of Maxwell Bridge).
- Westbound Shirley’s Brook Drive is reduced to one lane at the March Road intersection.
- Lane narrowing along Shirley’s Brook Drive, Sandhill Road to March Road, with intermittent flagging during working hours for Inverary Drive.
- Road Closure to be implemented for McKinley Road from Banchory to Shirley’s Brook Drive from May 31st to July 29th, 2022. This closure is intended to limit the amount of traffic on Shirley’s Brook Drive to increase safety for the local residents.
In general, the work being completed to start the month will be nearly identical in scope to the work being completed for the last 4 months. This will change starting in mid-May when the final sections of pipe installation on Shirley’s Brook Drive are started.
The forecasted completion date is unchanged from last month’s update (August 2022).