Looking for fun activities in the Ottawa area? Check out these options over the next seven days, starting on Thursday, January 5. Be sure to verify details with the organizers as plans can change at any time.
For winter sports enthusiasts…
- As we await the opening of the Rideau Canal Skateway, we’ve gathered some of the most magical skating experiences you can enjoy in Canada’s capital region, no matter your skill level. Some skating experiences are FREE!
- Check out the Urban Winter Trails Alliance for free access to outdoor recreation activities like cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, winter biking, walking, and more all around the city. FREE!
- Saturday, January 7; Monday, January 9 | Cheer on the Ottawa Senators as they compete against the Seattle Kraken and the Nashville Predators at the Canadian Tire Centre.
- Sunday, January 8; Wednesday, January 11 | Enjoy games of junior hockey as the Ottawa 67’s battle against the Owen Sound Attack and the Kingston Frontenacs at TD Place Arena.
For arts, culture, and a good time…
- Until Sunday, January 8 | Explore 80,000 years of Earth’s history and unveil mysteries from lands lost long ago at Planet Ice: Mysteries of the Ice Ages before this exhibition ends at the Canadian Museum of Nature.
- Until January 15 | Discover Luck and Lore, an exhibition at the Bank of Canada Museum which presents more than 80 curious artifacts that speak about the ways money has been used to bring luck, ensure safety, promote good health, show affection, and create a better afterlife for loved ones. FREE!
- Until January 22 | Engage with Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel like never before at its very own immersive exhibition at the EY Centre, complete with unique and licensed reproductions that feature a special printing technique.
- Monday, January 9-Friday, January 13 | Please note that several national museums are closed next week for annual maintenance, including the Canadian Museum of History, Canadian War Museum, Canadian Museum of Nature, and Canada Aviation and Space Museum, so plan your visits before or after those dates! Note, too, that the National Gallery of Canada is closed from January 9 to 20.
- Thursday nights until March 16 (except Jan. 12 and 19) | The National Gallery of Canada presents Winter at the Gallery, with themed tours, art workshops, and music by a local DJ. FREE!
For holding onto the last bits of holiday magic…
- Until Sunday, January 8 | Explore Sparks Street one more time during Winter Wander as it’s lined with Christmas trees, lamppost garlands, large-scale décor, and a light court. FREE!
- Until Sunday, January 8 | Enjoy the multimedia projection by Winter Lights Across Canada on Parliament Hill and explore the Pathway of Lights in Canada’s Capital Region. FREE!
- Until Monday, January 9 | Marvel at the dazzling red and green lights illuminating the Canadian Museum of History’s outdoor Plaza. FREE!
Find out more great activities to do in and around Ottawa on the Ottawa Insider Blog!