And just like that, school holidays came to an end… I hope everyone had a wonderful summer, and I wish all students a safe and happy return to school.
I urge you all to please slow down and watch for pedestrians and cyclists when driving, especially with kids returning to school. My team and I are always working on improving safety on our roads, and I’m happy to share that progress was made over the summer. Gateway Signage will be installed in Morgan’s Grant and around Maritime Way, a new crosswalk was installed on Terry Fox by March Valley Road, and new Yield signs and pavement markings were added to the pathways around Beaverbrook’s Georges Vanier Catholic and W. Erskine Johnston Public schools.
Thank you to all who joined me for my first annual Kanata North Summerfest! We had a great turnout, surprisingly very little rain, and lots of fun. A special thank you to the volunteers, vendors, and sponsors. I look forward to doing it again next summer.
Stage 1 of LRT will open on September 14th. Although LRT does not yet reach Kanata North it will impact many residents. More details can be found on the OC Transpo website.
This summer, our community experienced a difficult year with mosquitoes. I will be hosting public consultations in the next few months to seek your input on the program. In early 2020, there will be a community vote to decide whether the program will be continued.
Many are asking me about updates on the proposed development of the Kanata Golf and Country Club. I have no news but will be sure to share any new information as it becomes available.
Note that Carling Ave between Herzberg Rd and Moodie Dr will be closed from Sept. 13th at 7 p.m. until Sept. 16th at 6 a.m. to construct the sanitary crossing as part of the Kanata North Trunk Sewer project. Detours and hard surfaces for pedestrians and cyclists will be implemented.
I’m always excited to see innovation emerging from our city and enjoyed attending the Autonomous Trial Pod Launch in our Kanata North tech park. I look forward to seeing what’s next with this technology.
The city has launched its 5 policy themes for the City’s Official Plan (OP); growth, mobility, urban design, resiliency and economy. I am planning a Community Meeting to discuss this further and get your input. This meeting will be held Sept 24th 6:30pm at the Richcraft Recreation Complex.
I will also be holding my next Community Meeting on September 17th to discuss a variety of issues and future developments. I hope to see you there.
- September 4-6th: Grassroot Grannies 10th Annual Fundraising Cycle for the Stephen Lewis Foundation
- September 9th-10th: CAV Canada Conference at Brookstreet Hotel
- September 13th, 1-3 p.m.: Kanata Expo 55+ at the Kanata Seniors Centre
- September 14th, 8:45 a.m.: Park Run celebrates 2nd anniversary at the Beaver Pond
- September 17th: Mario Poirier Commemorative Naming Ceremony at the Beaver Pond
- September 17th, 6:30 p.m.: Community Meeting at Mlacak Centre, Halls A & B
- September 24th, 6:30-9:30 p.m.: Official Plan Consultation at Richcraft Recreation Complex
- October 3rd, 7-9 p.m.: 1020 and 1070 March Road Development Meeting